Ticket Sales for Today’s Drawing End at 8 p.m. MT
ALBUQUERQUE – The jackpot in tonight’s Powerball drawing is $400 million, the game’s fourth-largest prize ever. The jackpot’s cash option is $223.6 million.
New Mexico Lottery players have until 8 p.m. MT to buy tickets for today’s drawing at 8:59 p.m.
Above: Glenn Farnsworth, winner of $1 million Powerball® prize
The record Powerball jackpot is $590.5 million. It was won in May by a player in Florida.
The world record jackpot of $656 million is from the Mega Millions® game from March 2012. It was shared by players in Illinois, Kansas and Maryland.
New Mexico’s record Powerball jackpot is $206.9 million. It was won by a pool of nine players from the Roswell area in September 2008.
The odds of winning a Powerball jackpot are approximately 1 in 175 million. The overall odds of winning a Powerball prize are approximately 1 in 32.
Since Powerball’s introduction of the $2 ticket and $1 million and $2 million prizes in January 2012, nine New Mexico Lottery players have become Powerball millionaires.
- Glenn Farnsworth of Albuquerque won $1 million in the Sept. 7 drawing;
- John Baker of Albuquerque won $2 million in March;
- Lisa Woodruff of Hobbs won $2 million in November 2012;
- Marjorie McDaniel of Farmington won $1 million in November 2012;
- Michael Vigil of Santa Fe won $1 million in September 2012;
- Justin Laugherty of Las Cruces won $1 million in August 2012;
- James Larson of Albuquerque won $1 million in April 2012;
- Patrick and Sharon Yazzie of Chinle, Ariz. won $1 million in March 2012;
- Larry and Cynthia Martinez of Blanco won $1 million in January 2012.
How to Play Powerball
Powerball is played in 45 lotteries. Players choose five numbers from 1 to 59 and one Powerball number from 1 to 35. Players can also ask for a “quick pick,” a set of numbers chosen randomly by the lottery’s gaming system. Each wager costs $2.
In addition to the jackpot, there are eight prize levels from $4 to $1 million. The game’s Power Play® option multiples non-jackpot prizes and will double the $1 million prize to $2 million automatically. Power Play costs an additional $1 per play per drawing.
Legislative Lottery Scholarships
All profits from the sale of New Mexico Lottery games fund an in-state college tuition assistance program. Since 1996, the New Mexico Lottery has raised $576 million for education and more than 82,600 students have attended college on Legislative Lottery Scholarships. More information about Legislative Lottery Scholarships is available at www.nmlottery.com.
Follow the New Mexico Lottery on Facebook (www.facebook.com/nmlottery) and YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/user/NewMexicoLottery).